Monday, April 19, 2010

From melon to yellow

Every year around prom time, my church puts on a prom like dance for the youth that are aged 16-18. This year instead of being asked by one guy I was asked by two. I later found out that they had planned to ask each of the six girls so that no one got left out. (Which, to me, didn't sound like a good idea in the beginning because I didn't want girls to feel left out at the dance. But when I found out that most of the girls were OK with the idea, I quickly replied and decided that the dance would be fun no matter who I was going with.)

The morning of, (yes we waited until then) my mom took me to go pick out some fabric to make sleeves for my dress. (It was a melon color and I could not find any jackets or covers that matched). Surprisingly we found a matching color at the first store and were on our way back home before long. She made plans and started to sow while I took off to the church to help with decorations.
The decorations were nothing elaborate. The theme was It is a Dream. One of my dates, Craig, and I were in charge of the backdrop for the pictures. The initial idea was to have a huge tree and make it look dreamy (somehow... We weren't really sure how, but it was going to be dreamy.) Our tree did not look quite as elaborate as we were wanting it actually looked kinda sad. The dreamy part was in the balloons, which we wanted to look like clouds, but I am not sure if that is what happened. The balloons made for some fun entertainment during the set up as we blew them until we were lightheaded and started to see stars. These balloons provided another kind of entertainment throughout the dance as some of the boys found it fun to scare girls by popping them). I left the church at 4:45 to get dressed (keep in mind I was supposed to be at Craig's house at 5). When I got home my mom was a little upset that I had not told her the exact time that I was needing to leave and she was not done with the sleeves for my dress. I tried to do something with my hair but ended up throwing it up and curling the ends. Time for the dress.... or was it? My mom decided to pin the sleeves on due to lack of time. As she was pinning the second sleeve she found that it was too short so she had to pull it really tight.. causing a problem with the color in my arm. Then as I was being zipped up (I couldn't move my arm to do it myself) my mom found that it was getting stuck at a point. She called in my dad, who found that there was a tooth missing from the track. Then the doorbell rang... Craig was there to pick me up. Great! I was stuck in the kitchen wearing a dress that I was not be able to wear to the dance. No, fear, I made it to my room, had the dress that I had wore last year and made it out the door.
Aside from being an hour late to the dinner... and 30 minutes late to the dance, the rest of the night turned out alright.



This is all of us together right before the dance.
The dance was fun! Some highlights were the Cotton-eyed Joe (a classic line dance), Hannah Montana Hoedown Throw down,teaching Craig how to Waltz and Swing, the Cupid shuffle, of course all of the slow songs where I got to get to know some guys, and sprinkling glitter all over friends when the dance was over. Not your typical prom, but still a good time.



This is all of us plus one boy, minus one girl and my shoes. I am not sure what the gang signs are all about and I was told that we were all leaning... guess not.

1 comment:

  1. Karee, I must admit the timing to fix your dress was not the greatest. I am not a great creative seamstress and waiting til hours before the dance, now that I think about it, was not smart. I have never laughed so hard as we were trying to help you get dressed and the comments you were giving about your arm. I wish we would have taken pictures. We had how many people trying to help you get dressed? The price you pay for being a princess. I am just glad you took it in stride and had something else you could just put on.

    ReplyDelete