Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Numbers on the clock


On September 11th 2001, the lives of many Americans changed. I am not sure that my life necessarily changed that day, other than the fact that I became aware of the fact that America wasn't the big invincible country that I had always assumed. But as I have grown and have learned more and more about the terrorist attack it has had a bigger impact on my life. The "image" that I chose is one that I see quite frequently, a clock that reads 9:11. It is strange how I always seem to glance at a clock only to see 9:11. The numbers, when on a digital clock, seem to beam brighter and say remember. My mind then floods with the images that I saw on the news that terrible day. The faces full of fear and confusion, the billowing clouds of smoke, and the broken towers. When I read 9:11 on the clock, I always seem to stop for a minute as I remember the shock and the sadness that I felt as though I am back in time watching the news reply those shocking scenes over and over in my head. I know that as a child, I wasn't able to fully grasp what was happening other than the fact that people were dying and it was sad. But the memories of what I saw that day on the news and the numbers 911 mean so much more to me and will forever hold a special place in my heart.

2 comments:

  1. I always happen to see the clock at 9:11, too. I know exactly what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karee, I love to read your thoughts. You help us all think and remember different things. Thanks for sharing such a touching message. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete