Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I am not sure what it was about people on the side of the road holding cardboard signs, but I never really felt bad for them. Yeah they would claim they were homeless or broke, but I would always tell myself that they were probably drunks and needed more money for their next shot of alcohol. I would always lock my doors and look away. However a song has recently changed my thoughts about these people. Carrie Underwood’s Change has made me stop and ask myself what I can do to help people. Especially the first verse that says,
“What'cha gonna do with the 36 cents
Sticky with Coke on your floorboard
When a woman on the street is huddle in the cold
On a sidewalk vent trying to keep warm
Do you call her over hand her the change
Ask her a story ask her her name
Or do you tell yourself
You're just a fool
Just a fool
To believe you can change the world”

I am reminded of a boy who wanted to change the world; well he did in the movie called Pay it Forward. This is such a touching movie about a little boy who developed a theory of randomly helping three people who would in turn help three people each. These random acts of kindness would spread and change people and the world. People did not think his plan would work, but throughout the movie they are proven wrong.

And as Carrie Underwood sings, “Oh the smallest thing can all the difference. Love is alive. Don't listen to them when they say, You're just a fool Just a fool To believe you can change the world”
It is amazing how some songs and movies can inspire to do such great things. Someday I hope I can change someone’s world even if it is a small thing.

1 comment:

  1. Karee, you are changing someone's world right now. By your example, you are making a difference in someone's life. You are not a fool to believe that you can change the world. It is the little things that can make a difference for someone else. Your smile cheers people when they see you and your desire to help people are both things that are making a change in someone's world. Keep it up! I love you

    ReplyDelete