Monday, November 22, 2010

I'll be home for Christmas

Before, Thanksgiving was just a time to eat a really big meal and have pie. There would be food, games, lots of cooking to do, and then having fun shopping on Black Friday. But this year is different! This year I realize what I did have. Family.

It hurts when people talk about going home for Thanksgiving knowing that I am not. It hurts when campus seems empty because people have gone home early. It hurts to see friends' families around campus knowing that I will not get to see mine for another month. At church someone was talking about this (in a way). They said that they were really grateful for the opportunity to be away from home because it gives meaning to the song "I will be home for Christmas." Although it is hard for me to appreciate being away, the song truly has become to mean a lot to me because it truly is how I feel.
I'm dreamin' tonight of a place I love
Even more then I usually do
And although I know it's a long road back
I promise you

I'll be home for Christmas
You can count on me
Please have snow and mistletoe
And presents under the tree
Christmas Eve will find me
Where the love light beams
I'll be home for Christmas
If only in my dreams

Christmas Eve will find me
Where the love light beams
I'll be home for Christmas
If only in my dreams
If only in my dreams



(The result of boredom!)

If I could I would be home for Thanksgiving. In fact I just looked at flights for the 3rd time today.

But this year it looks like I will be spending Thanksgiving with my grandparents. Cousins will be coming (all younger, but it is better than nothing, right?) Then on Black Friday I will be in a parade to light the city! I am going to be one of Santa's Helpers and happily lead the city in following the fire truck to city hall where Santa will turn on the Christmas tree. I am pretty excited to see how that goes, I will let you know.

2 comments:

  1. I know how it feels to be away from family for the holidays... there really isn't anything that can replace them. But once the day passes, you will look back and realize you made it. I have been away from family for nearly every holiday for 12 years and each time they get cclose I have one of those days (or two or three) where I feel sorry for myself and homesick... but the days come and go and then life gets back to normal. I feel for you... thank goodness you have grandparents nearby. ...and Christmas will be here before you know it... believe me, it is going to be here FAST because I am totally not ready for it :) ..HANG IN THERE!!!! --Ipo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. I'm sad you're homesick...But your product-of-boredom photo made me laugh. Have fun with your grandparents and cousins. They'll be so glad to have you there, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete