Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Ten Dollar Trip



A couple days ago, the Newspaper said that there was going to be a storm spotters class at the historic courthouse in Cassville, Missouri. I didn't have any plans for Monday afternoon and the class sounded interesting. My parents didn't have a problem with me driving up there as long as I took someone with me. I convinced my sister Katelyn to go by telling her that we would be stopping off at different stores to shop. (I didn't tell her that the stores were going to be antique stores and flee markets.) I also recruited my brother Colten to come by telling him that he would learn more about weather (he was involved in Science Olympiad and worked on some meteorology stuff).



This was my copilot Katelyn, she tried to help by giving me the directions. She did not trust my navigation skills enough and spent most of the time telling me that I missed the turn or was lost.



Colten was our passenger. He read the whole ride up and ended up falling asleep first.

The drive wasn't as long as I was expecting it to be. It may have been because we took a break from driving about halfway through, and went to our first flea markets. It was the first time I had ever gone in one and it was pretty fun. I found a stack of old cookbooks that I looked at for five minutes until Colten drug me away from them. (He didn't enjoy the stores as much as I did.)

When we got to Cassville we still had an hour or so before the class was supposed to start so I drove around. We saw their schools, the library, the square, and some more flea markets (which of course we stopped at). I got a little adventurous and drove around town a little until Colten spotted a Walmart (where we wandered around for a good 25 mins). When 5:45 finally rolled around, we circled around the square until we found the Historic courthouse, only to find that the class was full of volunteer fire fighters and police officers. I did feel a little out of place sitting behind a group of full grown muscular men, but I am sure that it was nothing in compared to what Katelyn and Colten were feeling. They begged me to leave, but I had driven all this way, I had to sit in for at least half of it.

I did end up staying for only half of it because I thought my parents would want me home. So I did not get certified in storm spotting and I did not buy anything from any of the flea markets, but the experience and the memories that we made were worth the trip.

1 comment:

  1. You were in my old stomping grounds! That is so funny that you all were the only "civilians" in the class! But I'm glad you got to see where I grew up and stop at some flea markets along the way. We just got home from Vegas. Ryan was sick part of the time, but we still had a good trip. I sent you a text telling you that Macauley would be staying with Ryan's parents but it came back to me and and I never resent it. Thanks again for your sweet offer to keep him. He and Booker will be home in an hour or so and I'm excited to see them.

    ReplyDelete