Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Grease Lions

March 20th is getting closer, bringing with it the official first day of Spring. Each day I have been looking for little signs that say "It's spring!". Yesterday I was able to witness a sure sign of spring, a PTA meeting. Actually I got to go to two. There were so many people there that they ended up splitting it into two different groups. I was lucky enough, or so I thought, to get a seat on the floor before they closed the doors for the first meeting. (It turned out that my parents wanted to stay for both so really I wasn't that luck.) It sounds pretty boring,but it was not really that bad. It was definitely not what I was expecting.

Of coarse this was a PTA meeting, so the beginning consisted of voting on the PTA leaders for next year followed by a guest speaker. This guest was there to try to get people to sign a petition to get alcohol out of family movie theaters, because more and more kids have been able to get their hands on these beverages. When a clipboard got to me I held on to it for a while debating with myself. They had said that you had to live inside city limits for it to count, but I really wanted to sign my first petition. After holding on to it for quite some time, I signed it and passed it on. I felt so grown up until one of my old teachers, who was sitting near me, asked if I lived inside city limits. I suddenly didn't feel so grown up because I had signed it knowing that I didn't live inside city limits. I later found out that my mom had signed it too, so I wasn't the only one that would not be counted.



Finally the principle began to quiet the crowd and the reason that I had come was announced, the start of the play. The whole fifth grade lead by the choir teacher and PE coach, had been practicing for the past few weeks to perfect a little play based off of the Grease theme. It was very fun to watch. It is funny how even though there were a lot of kids, there were a few that stuck out to me.
One girl looked like she would burst into tears when she heard that she was going to have to stay to preform the play a second time.
The PE coach, who had choreographed the whole play, was dancing way more then all of the kids.
The cute little boy in the toga who was getting into the dance moves about as much as he had gotten into the glitter.


The boy that really got into the character of Danny by making small suggestive dance moves. The same boy who ended up singing all of the high notes, even the ones that were higher than the ones that the girls were singing.
Those few kids that could careless about what was going on in the play and were not even moving their mouths to sing.
The little boy in the audience that knew the dance moves more then half of the kids on the stage.


Both plays were pretty good and got most of the Grease songs stuck in my head. In the end, it was nice to leave that warm overcrowded gym and walk out to a light rain. Another sure sign of spring!

2 comments:

  1. Fun! Was this your little sister's school? I went to an incredibly long English department meeting this afternoon... Then looked for signs of spring out on the trail in the woods behind my house with Booker and Macauley and Megan. Now we're off to swimming lessons. Talk about hot and crowded--the sitting area at the Chesterfield pool. I'm debating whether I'll sit with a book or try to exercise. Maybe both. See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this play also. I was impressed with the dancing and the singing. They really took alot of time to prepare those kids. I had to laugh at the boys who had such high parts to sing. The first performance I didn't even get what one of them was singing, but he did better the second time. Didn't Katelyn do a great job? Thanks for going. I appreciate you making Katelyn feel important.

    ReplyDelete