Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Mommy did you know?



Mommy, did you know you would grow up to be a mommy?
Did you know the joy that you would feel at my birth?
Did you know how much love you would feel?
Did you know how much I would love you back?
Mommy did you know?

Mommy, did you know how much work it would take to take care of me?
Did you know how much sleep you would lose?
Did you know how much time we would spend together?
Did you know how much you would teach me?
Did you know you would watch me grow and wish I would stay your baby forever?
Mommy, did you know?

Mommy, did you know how hard it would be for you to watch me leave, even though
you knew I would be back at 3:30, excited to tell you all about my first day of school.
Did you know how you would miss me while I was at school?
Did you know how hard it would be for you as we slowly drifted apart as I began to spend more time with friends?
Did you know how hard it would be to watch me grow?
Mommy, did you know?

Mommy, did you know you would want to take hundreds of pictures of me and my date before I went with him to my first dance.
Did you know how much you would want to keep me home as I rode away with the boy on my first date?
Did you know how much you would worry until I came home?
Did you know how curious you would be when I walked in the door?
Did you know how sad you would feel when I did not tell you all the details?
Mommy, did you know?

Mommy, did you know how quickly this day would come?
Did you know how much you would hate to see me sit on the dorm bed?
Did you know how hard you would have to try to keep all the tears in as you waved good bye?
Did you know how hard it would be to let me go?
Mommy, did you know?

Mommy, did you know you are my hero?
Did you know?

I have recently been working on a project for church were I was asked to develop some attributes that mothers have. As I was beginning this project I was reminded of this poem that I wrote for a class.

1 comment:

  1. Karee, I have never commented on this touching poem. I am in awe as you express some very strong feelings that a mother goes through and yes, I don't always get the details. I wonder sometimes where the time went. I was always told that it would go by so quickly. I feel the distance between us has widened. I miss the closeness I felt when you were just little. I long to do it again different. I know that you are growing up and that is a difficult task for a mom sometimes as she sees her daughter getting closer to leaving home. I want so badly to make this short time with you better. Please make some time for your mom so we can enjoy these last few months together. I truly love you and wish I could spend more time with you.

    ReplyDelete